What do you know about adult education? What can adult ed do for you? I often hear people say, “Wow, I didn’t realize adult ed did so much!” So, let me tell you a little about what exactly it is that we do. I will explain why we need adult ed, and why we need it now.
Maine Adult Education programs offer services in five areas: literacy, high school completion, college transitions, business and skills training, and personal enrichment. We work with learners from a variety of backgrounds, from all ages, and all skill levels. We work with the full spectrum of humanity. Our mission is to work together to ensure a community of fluent learners, critical thinkers, and creative contributors to our society.
What ultimately makes adult education so unique is the people, both the staff and the students. The staff are passionate about making a difference and truly love what they do. Meet Dawn Wheeler to hear just how much. Equally inspiring are the students who genuinely want to learn. Many have surmounted serious challenges just to get to class.
So, why adult ed, and why now?
- Perhaps you know someone who struggles to read, and is too embarrassed to seek help. Literacy is essential to quality of life in so many ways, so I encourage you to bring them in with you so we can get them started on an educational plan.
- Maybe you never liked school, or had some kind of interruption in your education that kept you from graduating from high school. We offer a variety of opportunities for gaining the skills and credits to earn either a High School Diploma or pass the GED® tests. I promise that we can make you comfortable, even in a school setting. Read Stephanie’s story for some inspiration.
- Our country has been experiencing an exponential shift in the demographics: the baby boomers are the first generation to have a higher level of educational attainment and longer life expectancy than their children. This means that it has never been more urgent that we begin transitioning adults ages 18 – 55 into the college pipeline. Maine Adult Education College and Career Pathways addresses this very need. Meet Sylvia.
- While college is an essential for many, others may need to learn a targeted skill to retain their job or earn a certification to re-enter employment. You will find many affordable options as you explore this site.
- Finally, with the stresses of our day, we can’t forget to be human. We can’t forget to take care of our hearts, our minds, and our bodies. Our personal enrichment offerings are so diverse that you are sure to find just the right way to take care of you.
There has never been a better time for you to improve your education. Adult education offers a wide variety of programs to assist you at each stage of your life. I hope you will take advantage.
Warmest Regards, Anne Fensie Director, Wiscasset Adult & Community Education